Unable to retrieve the Search Application Topology

 

I was getting ready for the upcoming webinar on Social Intranet Using SharePoint 2013(details due) today evening and in the process came across this error while configuring the Search Application.

The error messages goes like this…

Unable to retrieve topology component health states. This may be because the admin component is not up and running.

Not a very welcome site, especially when you are setting up a SharePoint 2013 demo environment on a single machine, Windows 2012 environment (excluding the DC) and have already wrestled with the “Set-SPEnterpriseSearchService -PerformanceLevel Reduced” command along with the side effect and wiping away the sweat and blood Smile

Oh ya, let’s jump into the ULS logs and check out what’s it complaining about this time!!! For a change it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, these are some of those moments that we should surely relish…even though the error message was buried deep in the stack trace the need was very clearly mentioned…Good Job SharePoint Team!!!

Microsoft.Ceres.CoreServices.Node.NodeController : Unable to reach system manager at: net.tcp://2013-sp/054EFA/AdminComponent1/Services/InvokerService : Microsoft.Ceres.CoreServices.Services.Container.StaleServiceReferenceException: Remote invocation stop retrying after communication failure (service=Microsoft.Ceres.CoreServices.InternalServices.SystemManager.ISystemManager method=get_Primary location=ServiceLocation[net.tcp://2013-sp/054EFA/AdminComponent1/Services/InvokerService 2]) —> System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. —> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later     –
— End of inner exception stack trace —   
 the long stack trace goes here….

Indeed, I had been playing around with the environment and had messed up the DNS entries…changed the IP, cleared the DNS cache, got the connectivity back between the two machines and here we have the Search Application Components showing up nice and bright with a green arrow next to it.

Was curious to check out on the net, what others are doing to fix this issue…here are some blogs that I think may be helpful to you if it’s not the DC connectivity issues as in my case. Even though error messages is the same, the root cause and the solutions are different…

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in SharePoint 2013. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Unable to retrieve the Search Application Topology

  1. Reddy says:

    I ran into this issue and it took almost a weeks time to fix without reinstalling of SP 2013, but i had to recreate multiple time though the problem didn’t fixed. Finally using ULS log viewer i noticed that my SharePoint Search Host Controller service / application was running with a different service account, after changing the service account to the same account used for search service account fixed the problem and all issues fixed within minutes.

  2. Mark M says:

    Reddy is on the money here. Had a 10 server farm with the same issue. Surprisingly, matching the accounts solved the problem!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s